Adapted from Paula Hawkins’ hit novel of the same name, acclaimed thriller The Girl on the Train arrives in BT TV Store this month.
A young alcoholic woman named Rachel takes a train journey every morning, despite having been sacked from her job. She becomes fixated on a supposedly perfect couple she sees every day – leading her into a nightmarish experience when the woman disappears.
Emily Blunt, star of The Young Victoria, Edge of Tomorrow and Sicario, plays Rachel – and here’s a few things you might not know about the British actress.
1. Born Emily Olivia Leah Blunt on February 23, 1983, she suffered with a stammer between the ages of seven and 14 but overcame it, partly by being encouraged to speak in different accents by a teacher. She was later invited to become a board member by the American Institute for Stuttering.
2. At the age of 16 she attended Hurtwood House, a private sixth form college near Dorking in Surrey known for its strong creative arts programme. At first she wasn’t sure if she wanted to be an actress or a musician; a singer-songwriter, she was offered a record deal while still a teenager.
3. ‘Talent spotted’ at Hurtwood House by her first UK agent Ken McReddie, in 2001 she was cast in Sir Peter Hall’s production of The Royal Family at The Theatre Royal Haymarket alongside Dame Judi Dench, Julia McKenzie and Toby Stephens. She was named Best Newcomer at The Evening Standard Awards for her performance.
4. Her first film was the award-winning 2004 movie My Summer of Love. This won her an Evening Standard British Film Award for Most Promising Newcomer – shared with her co-star Natalie Press (below, with Blunt) – and brought her to the attention of Susan Sarandon, who then had her successfully audition for the film Irresistible.
5. She won a Golden Globe for her role in the 2006 BBC drama Gideon’s Daughter, in which she co-starred with Bill Nighy and Miranda Richardson. She is also nominated for a BAFTA for her performance in The Girl on the Train.
6. She met Canadian crooner Michael Buble in 2005 and the two became a couple, Blunt even making a guest vocal appearance on his 2007 album Call Me Irresponsible, but they split up the following year.
7. In November 2008, Blunt started dating American actor John Krasinski, best known to UK audiences from the American version of The Office. The couple were married in July 2010 in Como, Italy. They now have two daughters, Hazel and Violet.
8. Blunt’s brother-in-law is the Oscar-nominated American actor Stanley Tucci, her co-star in The Devil Wears Prada. At her wedding to Krasinski she introduced Tucci to her sister Felicity, a literary agent. The couple were married in 2012.
9. Last year Blunt became an American citizen. Later she joked to an interviewer that after she had watched the Republican Presidential candidates’ debate, she thought, “this was a terrible mistake. What have I done?’’ The joke got her into hot water with both TV news shows and the American public on twitter.
10. Blunt will play the title role in the film Mary Poppins Returns, to be released in 2018. The sequel is set twenty years after the original, and will focus on a fully-grown Michael Banks and his three children. According to the film’s director Rob Marshall, when he told Julie Andrews that Blunt was cast in the role, she said: “Oh, wonderful!”
The Girl on the Train is available to buy in BT TV Store now and available to rent from 6 February.
The Girl on the Train is available to buy in BT TV Store now and available to rent from February 6.