Sandra Bullock gathers her crew to attempt an impossible heist at New York City's annual Met Gala in this all-female film from the Oscar-nominated director of The Hunger Games.
Here, we reveal the best things about Ocean’s 8, and why you should consider it for your next movie night.
3 reasons to watch...
1. It’s a heist movie with a difference
Not only is it an all-female line-up - not a first for a heist movie, remember The Bling Ring? - but the women are smart, funny, and glamorous.
It brings together a group of supremely talented actresses who have four Oscars, two Emmys, nine Grammys, six Golden Globes, five Baftas and 10 Screen Actors' Guild awards between them to play driven, flawed and well-rounded female characters.
2. It recreated the actual Met Gala
The Met Gala is one of the biggest nights in fashion, bringing together designers, celebrities and movie stars for a fundraising party at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.
Ocean’s 8 director Gary Ross (The Hunger Games) recreated the entire event, reportedly paying $1 million to film inside the museum, as well as using the Met Gala’s actual caterers, calling in genuine high-fashion costumes from designers including Valentino and Dolce & Gabbana, working with Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour and getting a host of famous faces involved.
3. Celebrity cameos galore
No recreation of the Met Gala would be right without a ton of celebrities to spot in the background. Director Gary Ross encouraged stars to appear in the film by throwing a party for them during filming, and asking the celebs to leave the party to film certain shots for 30 minutes or so at a time.
He told Vulture: “We had to create an environment they wanted to be in. We had a bar and food. And when we needed a shot, we would say, ‘Can you just come downstairs for half an hour?’ ‘Yeah sure!’ Then they’d go back to the party.”
Kim Kardashian, Kylie Jenner, Kendall Jenner, Gigi Hadid, Maria Sharapova, Heidi Klum, Katie Holmes, Serena Williams, Alexander Wang and Tommy Hilfiger are just some of the stars who make cameo appearances in the film.
Trivia: Did you know…
1. It was a mini-Friends reunion on set. Ocean’s 8 features Elliott Gould (who played Ross’ father) and Marlo Thomas (who played Rachel's mother).
2. Sandra Bullock's character Debbie Ocean is the younger sister of Danny Ocean - portrayed by George Clooney in the Ocean’s trilogy. The pair previously starred alongside each other in space in 2003’s Gravity.
3. In Mindy Kaling’s 2011 memoir - seven years before Ocean's 8 was released - she wrote about wanting to appear in an all-female reboot of the Ocean’s franchise.
4. Speaking of Kaling, she kept her pregnancy a secret from her castmates during filming. In an interview with The New York Times, Kaling revealed that she was pressured into drinking a cocktail while the cast were out for dinner - but she lied that she was on "very strict antibiotics" (she was actually two weeks pregnant at the time).
5. Sandra Bullock's character speaks German as part of her cover in the film - luckily for her, she’s fluent in the language after spending most of her childhood in Nuremberg, Germany.
6. The film was released in the US on June 8, 2018 - exactly 11 years after the release of Ocean's Thirteen.
Who’s in the cast?
Sandra Bullock as Debbie Ocean
The Oscar-winning actress plays Debbie - a professional thief, the leader of the heist operation and the estranged sister of Danny Ocean.
Cate Blanchett as Lou
Fellow Oscar-winner Blanchett (Blue Jasmine, The Aviator) plays Debbie’s best friend and partner in crime, Lou.
Sarah Paulson as Tammy
Paulson - who won a Golden Globe for her role in American Crime Story - plays Debbie’s former partner in crime, Tammy.
Rihanna as Nine Ball
The Grammy award-winning songstress-turned-actress plays computer whizz/talented hacker, Nine Ball.
Helena Bonham Carter as Rose Weil
The King’s Speech actress plays ditzy, disgraced Hollywood fashion designer, Rose.
Anne Hathaway as Daphne Kluger
Hathaway (Oscar winner for Les Miserables) plays a glamorous actress with a mischievous streak.
Mindy Kaling as Amita
Kaling - who’s known mainly for TV work, including The Office and The Mindy Project - plays jewellery maker Amita.
Awkwafina as Constance
Awkwafina (Crazy Rich Asians, Bad Neighbours 2), plays loudmouthed street hustler and pickpocket Constance.
Watch Ocean’s 8 if you liked…
The Ocean’s trilogy, The Bourne trilogy, Logan Lucky, The Spy Who Dumped Me, The Bling Ring, Spring Breakers.
Buy or rent Ocean’s 8 and watch on your TV box
More in the Store:
Buy films and box sets now and watch on your TV box.